Friday, November 3, 2017

I AM NOT OFFENDED IN JESUS / Let Me Be a Disciple


This is the 5th of 7 devotions with the theme
From 1 Corinthians 13:5
"Love Is Not Touchy"
And
“Love Is Not Easily Offended”

I AM NOT OFFENDED IN JESUS

(Adapted from Luke 6:15 - 71; 1 Corinthians 13:5)

The Messiah had walked on the water. He walked right through the wind and waves, right up to the boat, got in and immediately transported the disciples to the other side of the sea. Later that night around the camp fire, Peter may have gotten up and walked to the beach by himself. He may have stood at the edge of the water looking into the darkness. His thoughts could have been . . .

“The Lord left. We didn’t know where He was or if He was coming back. All we knew to do was get in the boat and cross the sea. It was getting so late! And then He comes walking on the water! What a sight that was! He walked on the water! And as if my friends had not seen enough to convince them that this is truly the Messiah!”

His mind retraced the events of the day. He thought about the crowd of people that were fed from such a little lunch. He thought about the followers that had been offended at His words of late. It was a critical time and there was indecision in the hearts of so many. He thought about the many words and the teaching of the Master.

“I am the Bread of Life. He who comes to Me will never be hungry. He who believes in and trusts in Me will never thirst. Anyone who eats this bread from heaven will never die. I am the Living Bread that came down from heaven. And this bread, which I will offer so the world may live, is my flesh.”

“So many people are angry with Him. He actually claims to be the Son of God! He broke the bread and fed it to thousands and now He is saying that He is the bread from heaven. And if we eat this Living Bread from heaven, we will have eternal life. I can understand how so many are offended at these words. It is a strange message. It is hard and difficult for people to understand. So many are drawing back.”

Perhaps the rest of the evening went something like this . . .
Peter turned from the darkness and walked back toward the fire where Jesus and the other eleven disciples were sitting. As he approached the campfire, Jesus was saying, “Will you also go away? Do you all desire to leave also?” Perhaps Peter walked right over to the Messiah and said,

“Lord, to whom would we go? You have the words that give eternal life. We believe and we know that You are the Holy One of God.”

Lord, there are many things that I may not understand but may I never be offended in you. For where else can I go. Only you have the words of eternal life. I desire to be your disciple. I choose to put You first, the whole world second and my life third. Though I may not understand, I chose to believe in you as I walk it out in love.

© LoveWalkPublishing
Devotion authored by RebeccaAnnCooley





LET ME BE A DISCIPLE
(Adapted from Luke 6:15 – 71; 1 Corinthians 13:5)
Verse 1: Lord I desire to love as You love,
To walk all the way to Calvary,
To count the cost and bear the cross
Forsaking all to be a branch that bears much fruit 
so glorifying Thee,
Putting God first, the whole world second and my life third
Chorus:
Let me be a disciple
Let me as one of the twelve, 
walking with You and denying myself
Let me be a disciple, for where else can I go?
Though this world may entice,
Only You have the words of life
Verse 2:
The common people heard you gladly Lord
Fishermen walked beside you to hear your words
You challenged them to lose their life, 
reaching out to humanity
They learned to follow Thee
You gave them power to set them free
Putting God first, the whole world second and their lives third

© LoveWalkMusic

WordsAndMusic by KentCooley And MikeShreve
Devotion by RebeccaAnnCooley


No comments:

Post a Comment