Wednesday, May 17, 2017

BREAKING THE CYCLE OF HATE / Leave The Way Open

This is the the third of seven devotions
with the theme from 1 Corinthians 13:5
Love Does Not Insist On It's Own Rights



BREAKING THE CYCLE OF HATE 
by
Kent Clifford Cooley

(Adapted from Romans 12:19; 1 Corinthians 13:5)

We hear it on the news.  We read it in the paper every day.  Someone has been violated.  The victim then gets a gun and kills the one who has violated them, taking the law into their own hands.  Now, not only has the victim been violated, but the victim has become a violator. 

The above is a worst case scenario.  Someone loses his life because of resentment and retaliation, actually getting even with their advisory.  Getting even is actually a form of insisting on your rights.  There is a cycle of hatred that can take hold in a person’s life if he will not give up his rights and allow God to be his avenger.  This cycle of hatred starts small in little resentments and violations.  When the cycle of hate is left to turn over and over in a person’s life, destruction always occurs. 

The Book of Romans gives clear, precise instruction concerning vengeance.

“Never avenge yourselves, 
but leave the way open for God’s wrath:
 for it is written, vengeance is Mine, 
I will repay, says the Lord.”

There will be times in our lives when we are violated.  If we attempt to take revenge, we too, become a violator.  When we take the seat of accuser, judge and executioner, we close the door for God to deal with the one who has harmed us.  And more important, we lose the grace to forgive. 

Father, I commit my way to love today.  I break the cycle of hate that has tried to develop in my life by insisting on my own rights.  I relinquish my own rights and roll all of my care over on you.  I will not seek revenge when someone wrongs me.  I will forgive and I will walk in love with grace from my Savior.  Thank you Father, as I take this stand, you will remove wrong thinking in my heart and flood me with grace and power to forgive.

© LoveWalkPublishing 
Devotion Authored by KentCliffordCooley 



(Adapted from Romans 12:19; 1 Corinthians 13:5)
Verse
We hear it on the news; 
We read it in the paper every day
Someone done somebody wrong
So they went and got their gun 
And started shootin’
Chorus
Beloved never avenge yourselves, 
Don’t get back, don’t get even, 
Don’t retaliate 
(repeat)
Leave the way open for God’s wrath, 
He chastises those who are His, 
He chastises those who He loves
Leave the way open, 
Leave the way open for God’s wrath, 
Leave the way open for God’s love.
© LoveWalkMusic 
WordsAndMusic by KentCliffordCooley 

No comments:

Post a Comment