Tuesday, April 18, 2017

LOVE AND HUMILITY VERSUS PRIDE / Love Displays Humility

This is the 2nd of 6 devotions with the theme
from Galatians 5:22 And 1 Corinthians 13:4
“The Fruit of the Spirit is Meekness (Humility)"
"Love is not proud"


LOVE AND HUMILITY VERSUS PRIDE
by
Rebecca Cooley

(Adapted from Proverbs 27:2, Luke 18:11, 1 Corinthians 13:4, Galatians 5:22)

Looking down on another individual, the Pharisee prayed, “I thank you, my God that I am not like this sinner.  I fast two days a week and I pay my tithes . . .” He walks away feeling good about himself, believing God is pleased with his religious thoughts.  This Pharisee is absorbed with self-importance and pride. And his pride condemns him.

Looking at himself, the sinner rents his clothes and cries out to God, “Father, be merciful to me!  I am a sinner!”  He stands still and searches his own heart, believing that God has mercy for him.  This sinner humbles himself and receives grace.

There are so many examples in Scripture of prideful, religious, legalistic people like this Pharisee.  Pride causes a person to abandon the love of God.   Jesus constantly positioned the Pharisees and the religious order of that day to choose pride or to choose love.  They chose pride almost every time. 

Love and pride are incompatible.  Love and humility are inseparable.  Pride curses the darkness.  Love lights a candle.  Pride is dogmatic.  Love says “Come let us reason together.”   

Father I chose love today.  I dismantle and tear down pride in my heart.   Cover my religious heart with the blood of Jesus and remove all of the self-importance in me.  Instead of cursing the darkness with religious thinking, I will light a candle of love.  Thank you for exposing my religious pride and leading me, today, in the way of love.


©LoveWalkPublishing 
Authored by RebeccaAnnCooley
All Rights Reserved



LOVE DISPLAYS HUMILITY
Devotion:  Love & Humility Versus Pride
(Adapted  Proverbs  27:1-2, John 13:2-3, 1 Corinthians 13:4)

Let another praise you and not your own mouth, 
A stranger and not your own lips (repeat all)

Love and humility are inseparable 
Love and pride are incompatible
Love displayed humility, 
Putting on the attire of a servant
Love washed His disciples’ feet (repeat 2 times)

Love is not proud, Love is not vainglorious
Love displays humility, and I’ll display humility
Love displays humility and I’ll display humility

 ©LoveWalkMusic 
WordsAndMusic by KentCliffordCooley
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment