Sunday, February 19, 2017

UNISON VERSUS HARMONY / Harmony

This is the 2nd of 7 devotions and music videos 
with the theme from Galatians 5:22 and 1 Corinthians 13:4
"The Fruit of the Spirit is Gentleness"
and
"Love is Kind"



UNISON VERSUS HARMONY
by
Rebecca 

(Adapted from Romans 12:16; 1 Corinthians 13:4; Galatians 5:22)

I have served as music minister for several churches through the years. There have been a few times when I had singers that could not harmonize. When everyone sings the same part, on the same notes together or on the same note an octave higher or lower, it is called unison. When everyone sings different parts on different notes in correct sequence it is called harmony. There are basically four parts soprano, alto, tenor and base. When you can accomplish having all four parts on a worship team you can achieve a greater beauty and you can enhance the worship. Paul is not referring to singing when he uses the word harmony to the Romans but the premise is the same. Living in harmony means that you embrace your differences and by doing so you achieve a greater beauty then if you were all just alike.

Live in harmony with one another;
do not be haughty (snobbish, high-minded, exclusive),
but readily adjust yourself to [people, things] and give yourselves to humble tasks.

Never overestimate yourself or be wise in your own conceits.
The fruit of the spirit is kindness. The root word of kindness is kin. A similar word that we use more often then kind is like. I like you. I like that. I dislike you or I dislike that. But love is kind. If I practice kindness, I will be looking for that which we agree on. If I am looking for things that we disagree on, I am saying, “You are not like me therefore I reject you.” To achieve harmony, I must not only be agreeable but I must also embrace the differences and by doing so we will achieve a greater beauty.

Father, You made every person a unique individual, fearfully and wonderfully made. I embrace the uniqueness of every individual and live in harmony to achieve a greater beauty for your glory.


© LoveWalkPublishing 
Authored by KentCliffordCooley





HARMONY
(Adapted from Romans 12:16; 1 Corinthians 13:4; Galatians 5:22)
Verse 1
When we sing in unison,
We will sing in the same key
When we sing in harmony,
We sing different in harmony
We sing different with greater beauty
Chorus
Unison, harmony, although we are different
We can bring one praise
You and me in harmony,
Although we are different
We can bring one praise
To the King of kings,
You and me in harmony
We can bring one praise to the King of kings
Ending
I embrace the differences between you and me
I embrace the differences and I see beauty
© LoveWalkPublishing 
WordsAndMusic by KentCliffordCooley

No comments:

Post a Comment