Tuesday, December 26, 2017

THE PARABLE OF THE FROG / The God Kind Of Love

This is the 4th of 5 devotions with the theme 
from 1 Corinthians 13:6
“Love Does Not Rejoice 
At Unrighteousness,
Love Rejoices When Right Prevails”



THE PARABLE OF THE FROG
by
Rebecca Cooley

(Adapted from 1 Corinthians 13:6; Colossians 3:1-4; 1 John 2:13-17)

How to Boil a Frog: Do not put the frog in a pot of boiling water. If you drop him into boiling water, he will jump out. Put him in a pot of cold water where he is perfectly comfortable. Then put him on the stove. Slowly the water gets warm. It’s very pleasant at first. The water gets a little warmer and he swims around like he is in a frog jacuzzi. He gets so used to it and he doesn’t realize the water is getting hot. When the water begins to boil, it’s too late for the frog to jump out.

The parable of the boiling frog gives us great insight into how we can begin to love the world and a sinful lifestyle. We don’t just decide to live in sin. We don’t plan it out. We begin to compromise. We begin to crave the things of the world. The process is so slow that we don’t realize when we have given our heart away.

John wrote in his letter to center our love on God and not on the world. He is not speaking about enjoying the beauty of God’s creation, of nature or music or art. He is speaking about heart matters. To love the world means looking to the world for fulfillment. It means looking to identify with the world, looking for something to relate to and cling to, something to give your heart to. To love the world means I am looking for something in the world to give me purpose and meaning. The world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father. This world is going to go away along with everything that people crave. But God is forever and when I put my affection in the right place, my love will be forever.

Father, I do not cherish this world. I do not give my heart to the world. My stability is not in earthly things. My assurance is not in my own resources or my own abilities. I give my heart to You. I make You the recipient of my love and affection. Develop in me the God kind of love.

© LoveWalkPublishing RebeccaAnnCooley
All Rights Reserved



DEVELOPING THE GOD KIND OF LOVE
(Adapted from 1 Corinthians 13:6; Colossians 3:1-4; 1 John 2:13-17)
Verse:
I’m developing the God kind of love 
(repeat 2 times)
Chorus
I’m setting my affections on things above
I’m setting my affections not 
On things beneath
Bridge:
Love not the world 
Nor the things that are in the world
If you love the world, 
The love of the Father is not in you
© LoveWalkMusic
WordsAndMusic by KentCliffordCooley
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment