Tuesday, November 14, 2017

THE IMPRISONMENT & TORMENT OF UNFORGIVENESS / Forgive Me

This is the 4th of 6 devotions 
with the theme of
“Forgiveness”



THE IMPRISONMENT & TORMENT 
OF UNFORGIVENESS
by
Rebecca Cooley

(Adapted from Matthew 18:21-35; Luke 17:3-4)

We can put a religious coating over un-forgiveness inside our hearts and call it many things. We can call it hurt or upsettedness. We could call it a wound or a trauma that won’t heal. We can rationalize and attempt to diminish the sin of un-forgiveness and hope that it goes away. We can attempt to forget the pain and hope there will be no consequences. We can justify ourselves by believing a lie. But what really happens to an un-surrendered heart that holds even one issue of un-forgiveness?

Peter asked a similar question to Jesus and his answer was startling. Jesus told Peter a parable about a man who received forgiveness for a large debt but then refused to release forgiveness for a very small debt shortly after. Because the man did not extend mercy like he was given mercy, he was called an evil person and sent to prison to be tortured. Then Jesus made a shocking statement, “That’s what will happen to you if you refuse to forgive from your heart.” Is it possible that a person may be in torment of heart and mind because of un-forgiveness? Prison and torture are also metaphors for actual hell. Was 
Jesus literally saying a person who does not forgive will end up in torment for eternity in hell?

God responds to un-forgiveness the only way Love can. Love and un-forgiveness are opposite. They cannot merge. Jesus tells us this in a simple and direct way – the only way to make us understand the seriousness of holding onto un-forgiveness. He wants us to understand that un-forgiveness brings about a spiritual imprisonment and torment and separation from God. He does, however, extend mercy and forgiveness continually and immediately for those who will forgive. No wonder Jesus said, love those who hate you, do good to those who despitefully use you and say all manner of evil against you falsely. When we take love actions in response to the actions toward us that are meant to motivate un-forgiveness in us, we are taking an action toward forgiveness.

Father, put your finger on any issue in my heart that has or could develop into un-forgiveness. I don’t even want a hint of that which brings imprisonment and torment to me. I expose any un-forgiveness to you now. My enemy is not a person. My enemy is the un-forgiveness in my heart. Therefore I will take love actions and return good for evil. I receive and accept the mercy that flows from Your heart and replaces un-forgiveness with forgiveness. I am free from the imprisonment and torment of un-forgiveness.

© LoveWalkPublishing Devotion 
Authored by RebeccaAnnCooley


FORGIVE ME
(Adapted from Matthew 18:21-35)
Verse
Than came Peter to the Lord,
“How many time may my brother 
sin against me,
And I forgive him and let it go,
How many times, up to seven times?
Jesus answered, not up to seven times
But seventy times seven.
Chorus 1
Forgive me, I’m sorry I hurt you
Forgive me / I’m sorry
I ask you to forgive me
Chorus 2
I forgive you, I forgive you,
I forgive you , I forgive your debt
I forgive your transgression / I forgive you
I forgive you / I forgive you


© LoveWalkMusic WordsAndMusic by KentCliffordCooley

No comments:

Post a Comment