Thursday, July 6, 2017

MY SOURCE / Jesus Is A Fountain



This is the 3rd of 6 devotions 
with the theme from 1 Peter 5:7
“Casting Care”



MY SOURCE
by
Rebecca Cooley

(Adapted from 1 Corinthians 13:5; Genesis 16; 1 Peter 5:7)

The story of Hagar and Ishmael is a classic of God's will and man's will differing. Sarah insisted that Abraham have relations with Hagar to bear him a child. Sarah took control and manipulated Abraham and Hagar to get what she thought she wanted. When Ishmael was born, Sarah had a bigger problem than she previously had and it was not long before Hagar and her son were sent away into the desert. Why did God tell Abraham to send Hagar and Ishmael away? Perhaps it was because it was not the will of God in the first place. Do you think that God intended to care for the needs of these two fugitives even though they were outcasts? He absolutely did.

What if Hagar's child had died in the desert? Would Abraham and Sarah have been held responsible for the death of the child, Ishmael? God told Abraham to heed to the word of Sarah and to send Hagar away. Therefore God was solely responsible for Hagar's and Ishmael's well being. Abraham and Sarah were released from caring for the woman and her child when Abraham obeyed God.

As Sarah's handmaiden, Hagar had always depended totally on her. She was her source for every need. In the desert, do you think that Hagar looked to God to fulfill her needs? In her eyes, Abraham and Sarah had failed her. She was in the desert and her child was dying of thirst.

God wanted Hagar to understand that Abraham was not her source. He created a miracle in the desert to provide for her. My employer may be the one who writes my check every week but God wants me to know in no uncertain terms that my employer is not my source. God alone is my source of every need that I have.

Just as Hagar cast her care on God and did not turn back to seek out Abraham or Sarah, I should not cast my care on those who could cut me off and send me away tomorrow. I should cast my care on the one who cares for me.

Father, I act on what I have read in the instruction manual of 1 Peter 5:7 concerning my cares. You are the one who cares for me. So in total abandon, I relinquish all my care upon the One who cares for me. I will bear these cares no more. My cares are not my responsibility anymore. They are Your cares and they are now in Your capable hands.




JESUS IS A FOUNTAIN
(Adapted from 1 Corinthians 13:5; Genesis 16)
Verse 1:
You can't keep living the way that you're living
You've got to find the answer and I know where to go
There ain't no joy and there ain't no peace
Till you find the shepherd of the fold
Chorus:
Jesus is a fountain of living water
If your down hearted and heavy your load
Jesus is a fountain of living water
He's life to a thirsty soul
Verse 2:
Hagar laid her child in the bushes to die
Everything looked like death
Then a fountain of water sprang up in the desert
When Jehovah Jirah gave her her request

© LoveWalkPublishing WordsAndMusic by KentCliffordCooley


No comments:

Post a Comment