Sunday, May 28, 2017

TOUGH LOVE / The Path of Least Resistance


This is the 6th of 7 devotions with the theme
From 1 Corinthians 13:5
"Love Does Not Insist On It’s Own Way”


TOUGH LOVE
by
Rebecca Cooley

(Adapted from John 2:14; 1 Corinthians 5:3-5; Proverbs 5:7-8; 1 Corinthians 13:5)

Paul received a report of a believer in the Corinthian church who was committing sin. The report had to do with him living in sin with his stepmother. He was still coming to church and still acting like a "Christian" but his heart was far from God.

Paul's correction was a strong rebuke. He said that the church should be mourning in sorrow and shame over the sin of this one man. And he instructed the Corinthian church to remove the man from their fellowship. In fact, Paul told them to call a meeting of the church and to throw this man out and hand him over to satan so that his sinful nature would be destroyed and he himself would be saved on the day that the Lord returns. What would our fellowship of believers do today for correction of the same sin?

Paul knew that tough love, a strong rebuke, and a strong discipline was the only thing that would reach this man. He knew that the man had to have a renewal of the fear of God so that he would recognize and acknowledge his sin and turn his heart back toward God. I believe most of our churches today need a greater awareness of the seriousness of sin and a renewal of the fear of God. When sin shows its ugly head in the way of disrespect, dishonor, disobedience or just blatant sin, are we taking sin seriously? Are we willing to practice tough love? Are we willing to, with love, be tough on others and even tougher on ourselves? I will ask myself these questions. Would you also ask yourself these same questions?

1. If there is unrepented sin in my life and am I taking it seriously enough?
2. Am I willing to judge myself so that I will not be judged
on the day that the Lord returns?

Correction is improvement, adjustment, or the modification of a behavior or action. Correction is also discipline, chastisement and rebuke. Jesus corrected people when he walked on the earth. He walked into the temple and overturned the money changers' tables. It was not a soft correction. He didn't say, "Okay . . . , ya'll know better than this." No, he gave them a strong rebuke. The root of Jesus' correction was, and still is always grounded in love. We need to speak the truth strongly, grounded in love.

Father, search my heart for any uncleanness, any disrespect, and anything that is not pleasing to you and purge it from me. Father, I receive the blessing of Proverbs 4:8, "I have a wreath of gracefulness and a crown of beauty and glory on my head." I receive wisdom to give correction when it is needed and wisdom will exalt and promote me because I am exalting and promoting you.



© LoveWalkPublishing
Devotion Authored by RebeccaAnnCooley


Devotion: Tough Love
(Adapted from John 2:14; 1 Corinthians 5:3-5; Proverbs 5:7-8; 1 Corinthians 13:5)
Verse:
There are two roads to choose
Wide is the path that leads to destruction
There are two roads for you
Straight and narrow is the way that leads to eternal life
Chorus:
Going down the path of least resistance
Headed the wrong way in my insistence
Downward bound, I did it my own way
(Repeat)
Bridge:
So you say, “I did it my own way”
As if it were something to brag about
So you scoff at the straight and narrow way
Full speed ahead to destruction
Ending:
Turn around and don’t stay on the wrong way
Turn around / Don’t look back /
Come join the redeemed on the narrow path
© LoveWalkMusic
WordsAndMusic by KentCliffordCooley



No comments:

Post a Comment