Thursday, May 11, 2017

THE EXCHANGE OF BELITTLEMENT & RESENTMENT / Insulting Words


This is the 2nd of 4 devotions 
with the theme from 1 Corinthians 13:5
"Love Is Not Rude”





THE EXCHANGE OF BELITTLEMENT & RESENTMENT
by
Kent Cooley

(Adapted from 1 John 4:16; Matthew 5:22; 1 Corinthians 13:5)

Have you ever had a friendship go sour before it ever had a chance to become a friendship because of little insulting jabs and belittlements? This kind of treatment can come from a person with an enormous inferiority complex. They will try to feel superior by finding someone that they can put down and belittle. This will cause the person on the receiving end of this treatment to feel every human tendency to be resentful. If an individual reacts to insults with resentment, both parties will find themselves disconnected from love and therefore disconnected from God. John the apostle of love wrote:

God is love, and he who dwells and continues in love
dwells and continues in God,
and God dwells and continues in him.

Father, I do not want to be on either end of this exchange of insults or resentment. I do not want to attempt to build myself up by putting someone else down. And although I may be insulted by others, may I always remember that Your son, Jesus, was insulted and spit upon and crucified, yet He did not utter a word and He was not resentful. He forgave them and pressed no charges as he said, “Father forgive them.”

Father, forgive me for belittling others. I forgive those who have belittled me. I follow the lead of your son and humble myself so that I may take up my cross and follow Him.

 
© LoveWalkPublishing 
Devotion Authored by Kent Clifford Cooley
All Rights Reserved


INSULTING WORDS

(Adapted from 1 John 4:16; Matthew 5:22; 1 Corinthians 13:5)

Verse:
Love is not rude
Love is not uncouth
It doesn’t build itself up by putting others down
Chorus:
I won’t speak insulting words 
To build myself up by putting others down
I won’t speak insulting words 
For this is one for whom Christ died
They are so valuable in God’s sight
Bridge:
I’ll think on the good and not the bad,
I won’t put them down I’ll build them up, 
I’ll build them up


© LoveWalkMusic WordsAndMusic by KentCliffordCooley
Devotion by Kent Clifford Cooley
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment