Thursday, May 25, 2017

POINT OF AGREEMENT / Come Let Us Reason Together



This is the 4th of 7 devotions and music videos
adopted from 1 Corinthians 13:5
"Love Does Not Insist On It’s Own Way”



POINT OF AGREEMENT
by
Kent Cooley

(Adapted from Amos 3:3; Isaiah 1:18)



Have you had a conversation with a person who, no matter what you said, they would disagree with you? Have you met people that no matter what you did, they would have an issue with it? It seems like some relationships are based on negativity no matter how they are approached.


There is a difference between disagreeing and being disagreeable. There is a balance that you can reach in your own thoughts and communications with people that avoids arguments and contention. In order to reach that point of agreement and balance of communication with people, one must learn the virtue of not being insistent.


Recently I had a conversation with someone about predestination. This person believed in unconditional predestination and was very adamant about being right. I strongly disagree with this belief but I was determined not to be offended at his unyielding opinion. As I was thoughtful about my response and to keep my reply inside of love, I searched to find a point of agreement. “I responded, "I do believe the Bible teaches predestination in this respect; that God predestines according to His foreknowledge. God knows the decisions and choices we are going to make before we make them and He predestines us accordingly." This approach did not promote an argument but it did prompt a discussion.


"Love is not conceited. 
 Love is not arrogant and inflated with pride;

Love is not rude and unmannerly 
and love does not act unbecomingly.

God's love in us does not insist on its own rights 
or its own way.

Love is not self-seeking; 
it is not touchy or fretful or resentful."


Father, I have noticed how ineffective I have been when I am argumentive. I know this is a source of pride in my heart that makes me want someone to think like I think and respond like I would respond. Thank you for wisdom and balance to stand up for what is right without being argumentive and disagreeable. Thank you for wisdom to find a point of agreement with everyone and to share truth in love without insisting on my own way. May I be humble enough to know that I do not know everything and that I may not be right about a lot of things. Thank you for calling me to the virtues of humility and truth. I thank You for the marriage of Mercy and Truth. They have kissed each other. Thank you that You are the Way, the Truth and the Life. You are Love and I call You Lord!
COME LET US REASON TOGETHER
Devotion: Insistence
(Adapted from Amos 3:3; Isaiah 1:18)
Verse 1
How can two men walk together unless they be agreed
How can they walk side by side unless eye to eye they see
Seated around the table, we are breaking bread
And as we go our separate ways, I trust it can be said
Verse 2
Be strong in the Lord and the power of His might
For revelation knowledge is what can give us light
Seated around His table we feast on holy bread
And we can be filled with joy and peace as by love we are led
Chorus
I’m walking in His love ( 1. today) (2. Everyday)
I (1. Did) (2. Will) not insist on my own way
I’ve got power from above; walking in His love
I’m walking in His love (1. Today) (2. Everyday)
All the way, everyday, all the way, everyday
Ending
Come let us reason together,                                             Love does not insist on it's own way
Come let us reason together though your sins are scarlette
They shall be crystal clean. Come let us reason together
©  LoveWalkPublishing
WordsAndMusic by KentCliffordCooley
Devotion by RebeccaAnnCooley

Become a LoveWalkCovenantPartner today 

Send donations to 
Kent or Rebecca Cooley 
15 Trexler Ave 
Thomasville NC 27360

No comments:

Post a Comment