Monday, December 4, 2017

HOW TO FORGET AN OFFENSE / Never Keep A Record

This is the 1st of 3 devotions 
with the theme taken from 1 Corinthians 13:5
“Love Never Keeps A Record Of A Wrong Done To It”



HOW TO FORGET AN OFFENSE
by
Rebecca Cooley

(Adapted from 1 Corinthians 13:5; Matthew 5:40-44)

“I can forgive but I cannot forget!”

How many times have we heard this statement? Is it a true statement? Is it possible to not only forgive but to also forget? Are we truly forgiving an offense if we are not also forgetting an offense?

The opposite of forgetting is to remember. To remember is to reconstruct something in our mind or to become aware of something that has been forgotten. To remember also means to retain or commit an idea to memory without forgetting it.

In order to begin the process of forgetting an offense or wrong, I must not dwell on the offense in my thoughts or reconstruct the offense with my words in a conversation. Jesus gave us instruction on how to take action on the process of forgiving and forgetting.

"If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt,
let him have your coat also.
And if anyone forces you to go one mile,
go with him two miles.
Give to him who keeps on begging from you,
And do not turn away from him who would borrow from you.
You have heard that it was said,
You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy;
But I tell you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."

Now that we are not reconstructing the offense in thoughts or conversation, let’s construct actions of love and kindness and respect and speak words of life and love about those who we confess to forgive.

Father, I take heed to your Word and I will not keep a record of wrongs done to me. I will not play those recordings over in my mind or form words about them, reconstructing the offense. I relinquish to you all of the records that I have stored in my memory of wrongs done to me. I will replace the negative thoughts that come up in my mind with blessings. I do forgive and I can forget! Thank you for the grace you give me not only to forgive but also to forget every wrong done to me.

© LoveWalkPublishing RebeccaAnnCooley

Introducing a new group
"LoveWalkCountry"
The DailyLoveWalk's country gospel group
Enjoy!


NEVER KEEP A RECORD
(Adapted from 1 Corinthians 13:5; Matthew 5:40-44)
Verse:
I confessed my sins
He was faithful to forgive
And to cleanse me from my siN
He destroyed the records of the wrong I had done
He removed them from His memory
He told me to love others with this same love
To forgive them even as I’ve been forgiven
So I throw away the records of the wrongs done to me
Lord remove them from my memory
Chorus 1:
Love never keeps a record of the wrongs done to it
Love never brings the subject up
Love does not reconstruct what forgiveness has torn apart
Love never keeps a record of the wrong done to it
Chorus 2:
I will never keep a record of the wrongs done to me
I will never bring the subject up
I won’t reconstruct what forgiveness has torn apart
I will never keep a record of the wrongs done to me
Bridge:
I forgive even as I’ve been forgiven
All the wrongs I recall they are none
I forget for my sins have been forgotten
That’s the least I can do because of all He has done
© LoveWalkMusic WordsAndMusic by KentCliffordCooley

No comments:

Post a Comment