Saturday, November 11, 2017

LOVE COVERS SINS / Forgiven, I Forgive

This is the 1st of 6 devotions 
with the theme of
“Forgiveness”

LOVE COVERS SINS
by
Rebecca Cooley

(Adapted from John 8:11; 1 Peter 7:8;)

How many of us are without sin? Not one. Do I have a right to an opinion about another’s sin? Absolutely not. Am I supposed to judge or measure sin? No. Am I supposed to love the person living in sin? Unconditionally. What if the sin is really bad? Jesus said to the adulterous woman,

“I do not condemn you. Go and sin no more.”

We have our own ideas about measuring sin, whether our own or something we observe. If love rules my heart, I will not sit in the judgment seat because Jesus didn’t. Love is a choice. Jesus chose to love this woman and not condemn her even though he hated the bondage of her sin. He pulled her away from sin’s grip. He saw her separated from her sin. Shouldn’t we do the same? Condemnation condemns us for our sin. Conviction calls us to repentance and frees us from our sin and from guilt.

I know of a woman in prison that killed her husband because of an affair. She is paying a price with her physical freedom and she pays a price every time she looks into the faces of her two sons that look just like their dad. With much counsel, she separated herself from guilt and condemnation and received Jesus’ love. She now leads a prayer group in the prison and counsels others! If you ask her how, she would tell you, “I am separated from sin, guilt and condemnation. I know what Christ has done for me and I know what He will do for others. I receive His love and forgiveness and I extend that mercy to others.”

When I look at another’s sin and have any conclusions at all not based on love, I am exercising religion just like the adulterous woman’s condemners. When I look through my Father’s eyes, I see a separation from sin. The most effective thing I can do is speak love and mercy over that person’s life and ask God to make Himself real to them.

Lord, I do not condemn myself or others for sin. I envision myself and others separated and freed from sin. I want Your love, extended through me, to demand mercy to cover sin whether it be my own or another’s. I receive mercy and love and I extend the same to others. I know that this attribute of love is what led You to the cross to secure mercy for me. I am one for whom You died. Thank you for revelation of your extended mercy and love to cover all sin no matter how severe. I apply that revelation to my life now and I will do the same for others.

© LoveWalkPublishing Devotion Authored by Rebecca Cooley




FORGIVEN, I FORGIVE
Devotion: Love Covers Sins
(Adapted from John 8:11; 1 Peter 7:8)
Verse:
Love does not resent
Close the door on resentment
If I will forgive
I’ll close the door to resentment
Chorus:
I’m forgiven and I forgive (repeat 4 times)
Bridge:
You gave so much for me that day on Calvary,
I stand before you forgiven
I will not resent
Much has been given me
And much do I give
© LoveWalkMusicWordsAndMusic by KentCliffordCooley

No comments:

Post a Comment