Thursday, August 17, 2017

LOVE'S AUTHORITY / Love's Authority

This is the 5th of 6 devotions from
1 Corinthians 13:7

“Love Bears Up Under Everything And Anything That Comes”


LOVE'S AUTHORITY
by
Rebecca Cooley

(Adapted from 1 Corinthians 13:7; John 5:43)

Is it possible that we have religious leaders today just like the leaders that opposed Jesus when He walked on the earth? There were men who came to the temple in the name of the law and in their own power and authority and people esteemed them highly and listened and followed them. They thought they were right in the eyes of God. Jesus came in the Father’s name and with His power and their hearts were not open to Him. They did not approve because they refused Love’s authority.

What happens today when a religious leader retires? What happens when people no longer follow their authority because he or she is growing weaker with age? What happens when their own power runs out and no one is listening anymore? A person can go in his own power and authority for just so long. What is in that person’s heart will expose itself. I am aware of one man who ranked high in the religious aura of his day. People listened to him and followed him until he retired. Now the man has little authority. He substituted the wrong authority for many years. He thought he was right in the eyes of God but he refused Love’s authority. When you follow this man’s life, very little of the fruit of love is manifesting in his personal life as age takes its toll. He used God’s name in vain at the height of his own glory and now there is no power in that name for him. Although his years of influence are past he can humble himself even now and receive Love’s authority.

My grandmother was not a religious leader but she loved the Lord and followed Love’s authority. When she grew old and was going through the last stages of Alzheimer’s, she did not even know her children but she knew Jesus. She would look into my face and not recognize me. But when we would sing the hymns, she would sing just like she always did. She talked to Jesus like He was right beside her. It was obvious that Jesus was in her heart and spirit and at times. She had the authority of Love in her heart and it brought Jesus to the forefront of her mind residually and at all times. When she grew old and her mind was failing her, Love’s authority stayed strong inside of her heart.

Lord, I want Love to reign supreme in my life. I yield to Love’s authority now. And when I am old, I want someone to come and sit down beside me and still feel Love’s authority. My heart is open to Your power in my life. I give you permission to align my thoughts and attitudes with Love’s authority by the power of Your Spirit.

© LoveWalkPublishing RebeccaAnnCooley



LOVE’S AUTHORITY
(Adapted from 1 Corinthians 13:4-7; John 5:43)
Verse:
When the pressures of life bear down on me
I pray that you’ll still be able to see
The fruit of love, patience and kindness, gentleness and humility
Chorus:
Love reigns supreme in my life
I yield to Love’s authority
Love’s authority (repeat)
Bridge:
When I am older and growing weaker
May Your love grow stronger,
Your love reigns, Your love reigns,
Your love reigns supreme
© LoveWalkMusic WordsMusic by KentCliffordCooley
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment