Friday, June 23, 2017

DISPELLING ANXIETY THROUGH OBEDIENCE / Help!


This is the 5th of 7 devotions with the theme
From 1 Corinthians 13:5
"Love Is Not Fretful, Anxious or Worrisome"

DISPELLING ANXIETY THROUGH OBEDIENCE
by
Rebecca Cooley

(Adapted from 1 Corinthians 13:5; 1 Timothy 1:17-19; James 1:22)

I give you instruction 
in keeping with the prophecies once made about you,
so that by following them you may fight the good fight,
holding on to faith and a good conscience.

If you have ever sought out counsel, whether by calling a friend, meeting with a pastor or through other venues, and you have received good advice and direction, then you are obligated to walk in that counsel. It is the Holy Spirit inspiring, encouraging and instructing you through another person. So many times people seek advice and counsel, leave and not make any changes and return wanting to talk about the problem again. But there is nothing to talk about! If we don't follow the godly instruction that was given, what more can be said?

Counsel is a good thing. Friends can help friends. Pastors can assist parishioners and give good advice. Even strangers and acquaintances can offer assistance as the Holy Spirit leads them. And we should take serious the obligations we receive from that counsel.

But many times we just need to seek the Lord ourselves by becoming still and peaceful and making our requests known to God. As we sit in His presence, He can soothe, still, and calm us and give us the counsel we need. But if we must seek His counsel through another person or entity, it is important to heed what they say and act on it by being a doer of the Word. We shouldn't have to have numerous counseling sessions, more conversation and use up precious time. We should listen and heed the advice given and then go and be a doer of that word! Being a hearer only and not a doer produces fret, worry and anxiety that is self induced. So do not be a hearer only but also a doer.

Father, forgive me for wanting to discuss and converse over things that I should take to you and get your thoughts and counsel on. Forgive me for not being a doer of the Word when I hear godly instruction. I don't want to talk anymore. I want to emulate what the Holy Spirit is instructing me. For when I am willing and obedient, I will eat the fruit of the land and my willingness and obedience will dispel fret, worry and anxiety.

My Child, 
your actions of obedience 
are the true proof 
that you are in agreement with Me
and will result in a peace 
like you have never known.

© LoveWalkPublishing
Devotion Authored by RebeccaAnnCooley






HELP!
(Adapted from Psalm 46:1; 121:1; Matthew 7:7 NLT;
Galatians 6:9 KJV; 1 Corinthians 13:5; Mark 4:39)
Verse 1:
When I’m down and I am in despair,
There’s a place to go to call on Him in prayer
Distress signals I send to Him
He just speaks “peace be still”
His grace rescues me again
Chorus:
Help! I call for help
I call for help unto my Lord
A very present help in time of need
I look unto the hills whence cometh my help
My help cometh from the Lord
Verse 2:
So many are depending on Psychology,
But I keep looking to the hills
So many are depending on Physiology,
But I keep looking to the hills
Alcoholics are depending on Alcoholics Anonymous
I’d like to tell them that they can look to the hills
Whence cometh their help
Their help can come from the Lord
© LoveWalkMusic
WordsAndMusic by KentCliffordCooley


No comments:

Post a Comment