Friday, March 24, 2017

THE MYSTERY / Process Of Love


This is the 4th of 4 devotions with the theme

From 1 Corinthians 13:5
"Love Is Not Self Seeking”



THE MYSTERY
by
Rebecca Cooley

(Adapted from John 12:23-24; 1 Corinthians 13:5)

Crowds of people came to Jesus after Lazarus was raised from the dead. Many just wanted to get a glimpse of Lazarus. Jesus knew it was time to describe His death. Lazarus’ death and resurrection was a type of what was about to happen to Him. His words could have been:


You have seen a dead man raised to life. I know that many of you just want to see Lazarus with your own eyes and reach out and touch him and go home and talk about this miracle. I want to tell you that a greater miracle than Lazarus’ is about to happen. The time has come for the Son of Man to be glorified and exalted. I will die and I will be raised from the dead just like Lazarus. I am like a grain of wheat. If the grain of wheat is not planted, it will remain just one grain, alone and not producing anything. If the grain is planted and decomposes in the ground, it will sprout and produce a rich harvest. My body will be given to death as a grain sown into the ground. My resurrection is compared to the blade springing up from the dead grain. Just like the grain that produces an abundance of fruit, my life will yield a rich harvest of souls.


It is a physical truth that the whole body of the grain dies, is converted into the earth and forms the first nourishment of the embryo plant. The only part of the seed that lives is the germ and the germ helps the new plant receive support from the surrounding soil. Though the body of the Lord died, there was still the germ, the quickening power of the Divinity, which revived His body and put a stamp of approval on the atonement. The merit value of the atonement sacrifice was multiplied. So through the death of that one person, the Son of the Living God, salvation was procured for the whole world. Never was an allegory more appropriate or an illustration more suitable to describe the mystery of life.


Jesus’ death on the cross was the greatest act of selflessness ever expressed. Selflessness and love are synonymous. The seed is alone but when it dies it produces many others. Jesus died alone but his death caused life for a multitude of others. When we die to ourselves and to selfishness, we are doing what is best for others rather than ourselves and it produces love that grows beyond what we could imagine.


Lord, I don’t understand how a tiny grain can be planted in the ground, watered and spring up into life. That is a mystery that You hold in Your hand. I am amazed that a tiny grain can reproduce itself and multiply hundreds of times of itself. I am amazed how it takes in water and becomes vegetation and assumes a form and consistency completely different than itself. I am amazed that it can become something that releases indescribable aromas and tastes so pleasant and pleasing. The wisest man on earth could not explain how a tiny seed becomes nourishment for an animal and assimilates to the very nature of the body that receives it and becomes flesh and blood and nerves and bones. The truth is that I believe this mystery even though I don’t understand it. And I believe in Your death, burial and resurrection even though I cannot explain it or comprehend it and I thank You for the miracle of it all.


© LoveWalkPublishing 
Authored by RebeccaCooley
All Rights Reserved





THE PROCESS OF LOVE
(Adapted from 1 Corinthians 13:5; John 12:23-24)
Verse :
The time has come for the Son of Man
To be glorified and exalted (repeat)
Unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies
It remains just one grain
It never becomes more,
It lives alone, by itself
But if it dies it produces many others
If it dies it yields a rich harvest
If it dies it produces many others
If it dies it yields a rich harvest
Chorus 1:
I yield my life to selflessness
I yield my life to the process
I yield my life to the process of love
Chorus 2:
Lord I die to myself
I live to you
Lord I die to selfish ambition
I live to You
I yield my life to the process of love
I yield my life to the process of love

© LoveWalkMusic
WordsAndMusic by KentCliffordCooley
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment